Mantra is a sacred, repetitive utterance of a word or a sound which penetrates the depths of our subconscious mind and helps in healing mind and body; filling the space in and around us with positive vibrations. Healing benefits of chanting mantras are tremendous. These sacred vibrations can help in lowering blood pressure, regulating blood sugar, balancing the heart rate, releasing negative energies and toxins from the body and more. Also, as we develop a deeper understanding of the mantras we chant, they bring a feeling of deep inner calm and peace and can be a very helpful tool in our mindfulness journey.
Chanting mantras is one of the most important spiritual practice in many cultures. It is a method of cultivating mindfulness and considered a powerful tool for spiritual awakening as these sacred ancient sounds can also help activate the chakras and help us connect with our higher consciousness.
OM (AUM) is the most basic mantra or Seed Mantra. The single word OM produces the sound and vibration which allows you to feel one with the nature.
How to Use Mantras
Mantras not only provide spiritual benefits but also help in psycho-physiological healing. The sound vibrations and frequencies of mantras have shown enormous healing advantages as every mantra produces a unique sound and vibration that when recited resonates with specific parts of the body and helps in natural healing.
Sound frequencies of each and every mantra have the capacity to heal one’s life in a miraculous way. These sacred sounds can liberate us from fear, awaken our intuition and help to reduce stress levels.
On a physical level, when mantra is chanted while focusing upon a specific part of the body that requires healing, the healing energy starts flowing to that particular part. As they say, energy flows where attention goes; and thus helps in the healing process.
We all have hidden, amazing spiritual and healing powers within us. Mantras are an amazing tool which can help us in tapping that power
Scientific benefits of Chanting Mantras
- Alfred A. Thomas, Doctorate in Medicine from Paris School of Medicine found that chanting sounds have therapeutic effect on the body. Chanting calms the bodily system and activates the body’s natural process. It also helps in getting rid of addictions like smoking, alcohol and drugs. Marian Diamond, a professor of Anatomy at the University of California, Berkeley also confirms that chanting helps in increasing immune system.
- Dr. Watkins, a senior lecturer in neuroscience at Imperial College London, in the recently carried out research demonstrated that musical structure of chanting can have a significant and positive physiological impact.The chants are said to reduce stress levels, lower blood pressure, increase performance hormones level as well as reduce anxiety and depression. Dr Alan Watkins also confirmed that when we chant, the vibration of the sound calms the nervous system. It also reduces stress and increases memory power.
- Chanting of mantra provokes curative effect in us. In a research done at Cleveland University USA, it is proved that the rhythmic tones produced during chanting create a melodious effect on the body and mind called Neuro-linguistic effect (NLE). We understand the meaning of mantra we are reciting, which creates a Psycholinguistic effect (PLE) on the body. Due to NLE and PLE effects, body produces a curative chemicals in the brain.
- Chanting helps to uplift the spirit and produces positive vibes and energy with us thus enhancing our overall health; this includes – balancing blood pressure, reducing stress levels, balancing heart rate.
- Chanting mantras also purify the environment around us. Mantras can be used as tool to cleanse negative energies from home and even from within.
- Dr Alan Watkins also confirmed that when we chant, the vibration of the sound calms the nervous system. It also reduces stress and increases memory power.
- Research done by Marian Diamond, a professor of Anatomy at the University of California, Berkeley shows that chanting helps in strengthening our immune system.