Stress is simply a reaction to a stimulus that disturbs our physical and mental equilibrium.
Stress occurs when the pressure is greater than the resource. Stress in science has a simple formula – Stress is equal to Pressure divided by Resilience. Pressure, the numerator here, includes what is coming from outside i.e. Work Pressure, Targets, To meet out deadline, Examination, Job Security, Over Work, Prolonged illness of family member or self, Worried about children education or their behaviour, divorce from spouse etc. etc.
Reasons of Stress
There are many reasons which create stress in human life and they are differ from person to person. Some of these are as under:-
- Work Pressure
- Financial problem
- Unpleasant Family Relation
- Business Targets
- Meet out deadlines
- Job Insecurity
- Over Work
- Prolonged illness of family member or self
- Worried about children education or their behaviour
- Separation or divorce
Pressure is coming from outside and Resilience is our inner strength to face the pressure. But generally we ignore the denominator & consider Stress equal to Pressure.
Effects of stress
The American Psychological Association’s poll on ‘Stress in America’ found that 33% people in USA are experiencing extreme levels of stress. Its effects are very harmful on their mind and body.
It is a well established fact that 80% of all modern diseases are due to stress. Some of these are as under:
- Cardiovascular disease
- High/Low Blood Pressure/Hypertension
- Brain Haemorrhage
- Weak Immune system
- Migraine & Headaches
- Loss of Appetite
- Back ache
- Pre-menstrual and post menstrual diseases
Ways/Tips to Manage Stress
In this modern era, Stress is treated as natural and no sincere efforts are being made to manage stress. Here are simple tips to control Stress and Anxiety.
- Meditation: Meditation is the best way to manage stress and increase inner strength. A person who is doing daily meditation has better relations at home and at work place and feels happy throughout the day. Regular practice of meditation also helps in developing emotional maturity and a balanced personality. In today’s world, the biggest weakness of man is ‘No tolerance level’ but the one who is doing daily meditation has good tolerance power and does not feel stressed. Meditation also decreases mental illness, aggressiveness and resolves phobias and fears and thus controls stress.
- Yoga & Exercise: Practising Yoga regularly helps in relieving stress and anxiety. When we concentrate on body and breathe, physical tension releases.Besides doing meditation, one should do little stretching exercises along with yoga such as Sukhasana (Easy Pose) Balasana (Child’s pose) Savasana (Corpse Pose). Yoga and Exercise build confidence and self esteem. It is a good way to take time for yourself and release physical tension and thus control stress and anxiety.
- Planning the day: Plan your day in advance,especially when you are feeling stressed. Having a plan for your day will make you feel more relaxed and comfortable and thus less stressed.
- Healthy eating habits: High fat foods are not good choice when you are in stress or anxiety as it makes us feel lethargic and also increases blood pressure & Cholesterol levels and thus has ill effect on our arteries increasing the chances/risk of heart attack. Low fat, high fibre diet such as fruits and vegetables give us required nutrients and energy which boost our immune system and reduce stress.
- Leisure, Relaxation & Proper Sleep: Take breaks, give yourself time for rejuvenation and relaxation. It is as important as giving time to other work. Take good sleep of 7-9 hours. Too little sleep may make your irritable and impatient and keep you stressful through out the day.
- Change your Attitude: We need to learn to accept things which we cannot change. Develop attitude for realistic expectations from others and self. Set targets for achievable goals. Don’t to be perfectionist as it leads to stressful lifestyle.
- Fun & Humour: Have time for seeing funny movies, comedy shows and laughing with friends and family members.
Here is a Simple Breathing meditation which can help a lot in reduce stress and anxiety